intermediate/senior marine biologist,
Posted: February 2020
Keystone Environmental, voted one of Canada’s top 100 small and medium employers in 2018 and 2019, is a rapidly expanding environmental consulting firm located in Burnaby, BC. We are a leader in providing marine biological services to the Federal Government and numerous Ports and Harbours and are currently looking for an intermediate to senior Marine Biologist with five to 10 years consulting experience to join our ever-growing team of dedicated professionals. This is an exciting opportunity for you to grow your career and work on a variety of projects throughout BC.
Your responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Leading field programs that address the needs of the project including bio-inventories, sediment sampling, aquatic effects assessments and habitat offsetting projects.
- Writing environmental assessment reports for submission to clients and regulators.
- Preparing and submitting permit applications for projects to DFO, FLNRORD, Environment Canada and Transport Canada.
- Identifying and designing offsetting habitat including riparian areas, tidal marshes, spawning beaches, rock reefs, eel grass beds and green shorelines.
- Writing proposals and supporting business development of marine and aquatic projects.
- Providing technical support to other business units including engineering as required.
- Mentoring junior and intermediate staff.
Specific qualifications and experience desired:
- A positive attitude and the ability to be flexible as part of a small group of multidisciplinary biologists.
- A minimum of a B.Sc. and five years of experience; however, a M.Sc. is preferred.
- Registered Professional Biologist (R.P. Bio) or eligible upon application.
- Experience with identifying marine vegetation and fish from coastal British Columbia.
- Certified as a WorkSafe BC or DCBC SCUBA diver to join our scientific dive team is a plus.
- Clear and concise proposal and report writing with an ability to provide detailed QA/QC.
- Experience in delivering reports on time and on budget that meet regulatory requirements in a fast-paced environment.
- Training in project management including project planning, health and safety, and overseeing implementation is a benefit, but not required.
- Experience in working with a diverse clientele including developers, rail, resource companies and governmental agencies such as Fisheries and Oceans Canada, Public Services and Procurement Canada and BC Hydro.
Keystone Environmental offers a very competitive compensation and benefits package as well as a supportive and dynamic work environment designed to enhance employee experience and engagement.
All interested and qualified candidates are encouraged to email their resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, referencing “Marine Biologist”, in the subject line. We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
320-4400 Dominion Street
Burnaby, BC V5G 4G3
Mon-Fri: 8am – 5pm