Senior Marine Biologist / Project Manager
Posted: March 24, 2021
Keystone Environmental Ltd, voted as one of “Canada’s top 100 Small and Medium Employers” for 3 consecutive years, is a dynamic and rapidly expanding environmental consulting firm located in Burnaby, BC. We are a leader in providing marine biological services to the Federal Government, Fisheries and Oceans Canada, Oil and Gas Industry, and numerous Ports and Harbours. We are currently looking for a Senior Marine Biologist with at least eight years experience to join our Biological Services Department. This is an exciting opportunity to join and help grow our marine team in BC.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Managing marine and aquatic projects including planning, executing, and providing project deliverables in a timely and cost-effective manner.
- Leading field programs that address the needs of the project including: bio-inventories, species at risk surveys, sediment sampling, aquatic effects assessments, and habitat offsetting.
- Writing environmental assessment reports for submission to clients and regulators.
- Preparing and submitting permit applications for projects to DFO, FLNRORD, SARA, Environment Canada and Transport Canada.
- Identifying and designing offsetting habitat including riparian areas, tidal marshes, spawning beaches, rock reefs, eelgrass beds and green shorelines.
- Writing proposals and supporting business development of marine and aquatic projects. You will interact regularly with clients to promote client relations.
- Providing technical support to other business units including engineering as required.
- Mentoring junior and intermediate staff.
Specific qualifications and experience desired:
- A positive attitude and the ability to be flexible as part of a small group of multidisciplinary biologists.
- A minimum of a B.Sc. and eight years of experience; however, a M.Sc. or Ph.D. is preferred.
- Registered Professional Biologist (R.P. Bio) or eligible upon application.
- Expertise with one or more of the following: coastal British Columbia marine habitats, underwater noise and hydroacoustics, marine mammals, marine species at risk, large infrastructure Projects.
- Certified as a WorkSafe BC or DCBC SCUBA diver to join our scientific dive team is a plus.
- Clear and concise proposal and report writing with an ability to provide detailed QA/QC.
- Experience in delivering reports on time and on budget that meet regulatory requirements in a fast paced environment.
- Training in project management including project planning, health and safety, and overseeing project implementation is a benefit, but not required.
- Experience in working with a diverse clientele including developers, rail, resource companies and governmental agencies such as Fisheries and Oceans Canada, Public Services and Procurement Canada and BC Hydro.
Keystone Environmental offers a very competitive compensation and benefits package as well as a supportive and dynamic work environment designed to enhance employee experience and engagement.
All interested and qualified candidates are encouraged to email their resume and cover letter to email@example.com, referencing “Senior Marine Biologist”, in the subject line. We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.